Drug addiction is complicated. It can be exceptionally difficult for some to find resources for themself or a loved one. At Atlanta Recovery Place, we hope to make drug addiction therapy as accessible as possible for people in the Atlanta area and beyond. Today, we’d like to spend some time sharing some resources regarding drug addiction therapy and how it affects the drug user and people around them.
What Is Drug Addiction?
The National Institute on Drug Abuse states that an addiction is a chronic disease that is characterized by compulsive drug use that can be difficult to control, even with harmful consequences. This addiction and repeated drug use can cause changes within the brain. These drugs and substances seem to affect the brain’s reward system. This can cause the addict to need the drug to not only feel an euphoric feeling, but to also need the drug to feel normal. Pretty wild, right? This will also motivate the individual who is addicted to the drug to repeat their negative behaviors. Using drugs or alcohol can lead to long-term changes within the brain which can cause problems in functioning. These changes affect things such as:
- Decision making
Keep in mind that although addiction can be more common in certain individuals depending on their genetics, their development, and their environment, technically anyone is vulnerable to developing an addiction.
How Is Drug Addiction Treated?
Drug addiction can be treated through many different things, including therapy and replacement therapy. Drug addiction can also be treated within rehabilitation facilities and through recovery groups. There’s an abundance of ways to treat an addiction and truly depends on the individual addict. Some people find success getting & remaining sober by attending AA meetings, others get sober by going to an addiction treatment center. Below are different methods we use to treat addiction at Atlanta Recovery Place.
Types of Drug Addiction Therapy
There are many different types of therapy for drug addiction. The treatment of drug addiction can best take place in a facility. Here Atlanta Recovery Place, we offer different options when it comes to drug addiction therapy and treatment. Our programs include partial hospitalization, an intensive outpatient program, outpatient program, and sober living. We incorporate various types of drug addiction therapy into these programs:
- Individual counseling – This is very important in the rehabilitation of our clients. This gives our clients opportunities to work with certified professionals that use therapeutic methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, and even standard talk therapy.This can help pave the way for learning new skills and coping with an addiction.
- Group Therapy – Group therapy for clients can also be a crucial aspect in maintaining sobriety. It provides an experience for clients to express their emotions and listen to others’ emotions who are going through the same thing.
- Meditation – During meditation/mindfulness practices, our clients find peace of mind and also find a healthy mental state.
- Nutrition and exercise – We find that physical health can also create a healthy space for our emotional and mental health. Having good overall health habits is important for maintaining sobriety and continuing healthy habits.
- Dual-diagnosis – Some clients may experience co-occurring disorders. This is when someone suffers from mental illness AND an addiction. By treating both the mental illness and the addiction the same time, this helps with maintaining sobriety and a simpler recovery process.
How Atlanta Recovery Place Can Help
Here at Atlanta Recovery Place, we help our clients to be at ease when becoming sober. The goal is for each and every client to overcome their addiction and maintain long term sobriety. Reach out to us today to find the therapy and treatment that best fits your needs.