Outpatient programming is an option for those who wish to remain at home during their substance abuse treatment rather than living on campus 24/7. Outpatient treatment enables those who desire the flexibility to continue their commitment to work, school and/or home to continue fulfilling obligations while receiving treatment.
What Is a PHP Recovery Program?
A partial hospitalization program, or PHP, is the most intensive form of outpatient treatment available. A partial hospitalization program is often referred to as day treatment and offers a comprehensive treatment approach with the intent of helping patients to overcome a substance use disorder.
The majority of PHP programs require between 25 to 35 hours of program participation every week, which makes it the next step down in terms of treatment, following a residential or inpatient treatment program.
A PHP recovery program involves daily participation in a number of evidence-based therapies as well as classes, group sessions, and other complementary options such as art therapy and yoga. Many PHPs also offer detox services through a nearby residential treatment or detox center.
How Does It Differ From Inpatient Treatment?
PHP recovery programs differ from inpatient treatment in several ways. The primary difference, however, is the amount of time spent at the treatment facility. For those who undergo inpatient treatment, they spend the night at the rehab facility each night for a set number of days (often a minimum of 28 days to a maximum of 3 months). A PHP recovery program, on the other hand, allows patients to return home at night but come back to the program the next day. A PHP requires much more time commitment out of each day than a standard outpatient program, making it a sort of middle ground between the two treatment options.
The Benefits of Going to a PHP Recovery Program
Some of the benefits of going to a partial hospitalization program may include:
- Individual therapy: Individual therapy allows patients to process progress and any relapses while being educated on solutions.
- Group therapy: Group therapy enables patients to connect with individuals who have had similar experiences in a welcoming, safe environment.
- Medication-assisted therapy: Medication is recommended for many patients who battle addiction. It may be used to help with withdrawal symptoms during detox or to manage any underlying co-occurring disorders a patient may have throughout recovery.
It can be difficult to know whether a PHP recovery program is necessary for you or your loved one. The process of navigating the many different levels of addiction treatment can be overwhelming. The first step is to undergo a formal evaluation from a qualified mental health professional who will help determine the best programs to help. People who are recommended to undergo PHPs are those who meet the following criteria:
- Medically stable
- Not at risk of harming others or self
- Experience difficulty functioning at school, work or other places where participation is required
- Motivated to participate in treatment
- Have adequate support at home
- Experience co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders
Reach Out to Atlanta Recovery Place for More Information
The treatment professionals at Atlanta Recovery Place engages patients while teaching them to enjoy life free of dependence on substances while facilitating a renewed passion for a life that thrives. We embody a clinical framework to identify behavior change on a continuum with our individualized treatment program, helping patients to move through their treatment programs by assessing any readiness for change and formulating interventions that match each stage for the best chances of lasting recovery.
If you are ready to start down the road free from the chains of addiction, please do not hesitate to contact us today to learn more about our treatment options.