We understand that life isn’t always easy, and that there are stigmas against substance abuse disorders and mental health disorders that can bring more stressors into an individual’s life. We strive to help our clients relieve some of the stress caused by these stressors by not only walking along with our clients throughout their recovery process, but working with our clients to help them with their mental health goals as well. At Atlanta Recovery Place, we want to help our clients overcome their addiction, and find comfort and success in living with a mental health disorder. We are here to help provide information about mental illnesses and give some treatment options that our clients may have.
What Is Mental Illness?
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, mental illnesses are very common, and include many different conditions and have a range of severity. A mental illness is a mental, emotional, and behavioral disorder that has a range of impairment (from no impairment at all to an extreme impairment). The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says mental health and substance abuse disorders often go hand and hand. Mental Health disorders can affect the choices and behaviors that people have, also known as co-occurring disorders.
Different Types of Treatment for Mental Illness
There are many different ways of treating mental illness and types of treatment for mental illness. These treatments come in a variety of different things, whether it being therapy or medication. Some of the different types of treatment can include:
- Therapy – Psychotherapy is a treatment of mental illness that explores an individual’s thoughts, emotions, feelings, and behaviors. This therapy can be paired with medication to help provide the most effective way with the promotion of recovery. Examples of Psychotherapy are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Exposure Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, etc.
- Support groups – Within a support group there are group meetings where members guide each other to achieve their shared goal of recovery and sobriety. Support groups are often composed of peers who have suffered from similar experiences.
- Medication – Medication is used for the management of symptoms, but it does not outright cure mental illness. Medication, when paired with therapy, is one of the most effective ways to promote recovery.
- Hospitalization – In some cases hospitalization might be necessary depending on the severity. This can help the clients be closely monitored and help to provide an accurate diagnosis for the individual. This time being hospitalized may include therapy sessions, support group sessions, medications, etc., and will be adjusted depending on the severity and recovery time.
Getting the treatment you need for your mental illness is very crucial, not only for your wellbeing, but also for your recovery process within your substance use. Substance abuse and mental illness can both be life long battles. Although it may sound daunting to have to work at both everyday, there are many types of treatment options that can help you learn the right kind of coping skills to successfully do so!
Get Treatment for Mental Illness in Atlanta
Here at Atlanta Recovery Place, we want you to receive the help that you need whether it being a substance abuse disorder or a mental health disorder. There are many different resources within Atlanta to help individuals in overcoming a mental illness and their substance abuse disorder. We want to help you find the right resources for you and your unique, individualized needs in regards to the recovery process. According to the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, services within Atlanta include things such as:
- Assessment and Recovery – This would help individuals identify their recovery goals.
- Therapy – This could be individual, family, or group counseling/therapy.
- Physician and Nursing Services – This could help monitor health issues and the amount or dosage of medication given to the clients.
- Support with the Community – This resource provides in-home support. This resource helps clients gain support from those around them. This resource also provides a way for clients to build different skills and access different resources within their community.
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation – A service that helps individuals develop skills such as, health management, monetary management, life/lifestyle skills, and receiving resources. This service helps clients find wellbeing within their life.
Reach Out to Us Today
Contact us today at our facility to receive guidance in figuring out the next step within your recovery process. We want to provide you with unique and individualized options in developing the perfect approach to recovery, sobriety, and wellbeing. We look forward to hearing from you!